Recently a group of us from across the global fashion industry, from CEOs to buyers and creative directors, came together in a series of conversations with a shared vision; to discuss ways in which our business needs to transform.
We agreed that the current environment although challenging, presents an opportunity for a fundamental and welcome change that will simplify our businesses, making them more environmentally and socially sustainable and ultimately align them more closely with customers’ needs.
We hope to achieve this by adjusting the seasonality and flow of both womenswear and menswear goods, starting with the Autumn/Winter 2020 season:
- Put the Autumn/Winter season back in winter (August/January) and Spring/Summer season back in summer (February/July)
- Create a more balanced flow of deliveries through the season to provide newness but also time for products to create desire
- Discount at the end of the season in order to allow for more full-price selling – January for Autumn/Winter and July for Spring/Summer
We will also work to increase sustainability throughout the supply chain and sales calendar through:
- Less unnecessary product
- Less waste in fabrics and inventory
- Less travel
- Make use of digital showrooms in addition to personal creative interactions
- Review and adapt fashion shows
Working together, we hope these steps will allow our industry to become more responsible for our impact on our customers, on the planet and on the fashion community, and bring back the magic and creativity that has made fashion such an important part of our world.